Tuesday, November 17, 2009

ProgDay 2009 Day 2

ProgDay Day 2
Storybook Farm
Chatham County (Chapel Hill), NC
Sunday, September 6, 2009
General Admission

There were some stand-out performances on the second day of ProgDay. Roy and I started the day as we traditionally do, going out to breakfast at Foster's Market. We missed the start of the first band, Deluge Grander. Maybe I wasn't fully awake yet, but I wasn't ready to focus on the music. I wandered over to the food tent to get out of the performance space.

I was in the perfect position for the next band. The Japanese band Qui played their set on Saturday, but they brought their instruments back again. They set up by the picnic benches did some songs in between bands on the main stage. I was already sitting over there, so I grabbed a spot right in front. It was charming, and I enjoyed it even more than their real set on Saturday. They played several times throughout the day, with other bands and even audience members joining in. I'm sure this happens more often at jam-band type festivals, but it fit right in at ProgDay.

Guitarist Jimmy Robinson was another highlight. We saw him play at ProgDay a few years ago with his band Woodenhead. The set consisted of a half-hour of solo guitar, really good playing. The highlights for me were at the end, two cover songs, Eight Miles High from the Byrds and Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.

My favorite band of the festival turned out to be the headliner Ozric Tentacles. They are a band I've liked since college, but never saw live. Roy had seen them before, and he described it as crowded with everyone dancing together. With the light show, he was almost in a trance. From his memories and my mental picture of a crowded smoky club, I didn't think I'd enjoy their typical show. Never had the opportunity to go anyway. They played Nearfest a few years ago, and seeing their dancy space-rock music seated in a theater seemed wrong too.

So I was happy when they were announced for ProgDay. I still wasn't sure what to expect. I had their CD Arborescence. Most of the lineup had changed, and I'd heard they were more electronica sounding. I wondered how much of their set would be live versus synthesizer noises. I had nothing to worry about. They sounded wonderful and were so suited to the vibe at Storybook Farm. The line-up consisted of the lead guy Ed Wynne playing keyboards and guitar, along with a bass player, drummer, and another keyboardist.

It was danceable happy instrumental music. The band mentioned several times that they usually play with an elaborate light show and how nice it was to be able to see the audience and see what they are doing. A group of kids got together and danced along to the crazy music. My friend Chris danced to most of the set. I thought about it, but mostly bopped along in my seat. When the time was running out and they said they'd be doing their last song, I got up and danced too. There were a whole group of us on the side of the field. It was a blast!

Roy and I went out to dinner by ourselves that night, and then we stopped by the pool to chat for a bit. We had quite a week planned. The next day, I'd drive Roy to the airport. He was going to New York to see some matches at the US Open tennis tournament. My flight wasn't until the afternoon, so I drove to A Southern Season and browsed for a while. We'd meet up four days later in another town for our next prog festival. Next time would be FMPM in Montreal.

No comments: