Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lindsey Buckingham

Lindsey Buckingham
The Pageant
St. Louis, MO
Monday September 29, 2008
Section Balcony-Right, Row A, Seat 10
$36.50

I'm using this entry as a place-holder. I plan on writing more about the show in the future.

This was Roy's and my second time seeing Lindsey Buckingham in a solo performance. His strength is his arrangements, all of the songs come across fully realized with nice harmonies. Roy described the performance as honest. To me, the vibe of the show was not what you'd imagine seeing someone who was a rock star for the past 30 years. It was more like Buckingham was a journeyman singer-songwriter still trying to make it and get recognition. Even he called his solo material "more to the left" than his work with Fleetwood Mac and he expressed amazement that the record company wanted to release a single from his new album.

From our seats, we were on the balcony, way over to the right. I could see the front-line musicians well, but I couldn't see the drummer at all. During the introductions, I was surprised to find out the drummer was percussionist Walfredo Reyes Jr. whom I had previously seen on the Traffic reunion tour in 1994. He also played on one of my favorite albums of the 2000s, Steve Winwood's About Time.

No comments: