Saturday, May 17, 2008

RoSFest trip epilogue

Monday was my jet-setting day. I had breakfast in New York City, lunch in Philadelphia, and dinner back in St. Louis. I had really planned to spend more time in Philly during my trip for RoSFest, but another show meant another side trip away from the city. Still, I'd have a few hours to spend.

New York is called The City That Never Sleeps, but I don't think I slept at all on Sunday night. I usually don't sleep well when I'm not with Roy. It was either that or being too excited from the night's events or the uncomfortable bed. Morning rolled around, and I got ready for the day. I got a recommendation for a breakfast place from the hotel, and ate there. Another nice day. I walked over to Penn Station and still had some time to kill before the train arrived. I was halfway tempted to walk to Times Square; it's such a touristy thing to do. I could imagine my coworkers in the midwest asking if I saw Times Square when I'd tell them about my trip. There wasn't quite enough time, so I just walked down to the train station and people-watched there.

The train ride was pretty easy. The car had plenty of empty room, so noone sat next to me. I had forgotten that it had a view of the Philadelphia Zoo and boat house row. I met Roy at 30th Street Station.

The train station is near my old college, so we walked to Penn's campus and had lunch at my favorite pizza place, Allegro's on Spruce Street. It was such a weird feeling that I only had a couple hours to spend in the city. It was like I was reliving the past, because I did not have time to do anything new, just walk around. It was warmer out that day, and I was wiped out from walking and standing so much the day before and not sleeping. We ended up sitting down on campus and talking for a while.

We had a little trouble finding the garage where Roy parked the car. The lot is part of the new glass skyscraper north of the train station - it didn't exist when I lived around there. Then, I insisted we drive down to my old neighborhood to see my old apartment. I figured we had to go somewhere to get gas for the rental car, and I knew where the gas station was there. Roy bought me a Tastycake there. We were running a bit late. After we dropped the rental car off, we left something in it, so retrieving it made us even later. Luckily, there was no wait at the security, so we made the flight with no problem.

It was nice to be home in my own bed that night. It took me a few days to feel back to normal and to start writing up my thoughts for the blog. It's nice to be done with this review too.

No comments: