Saturday, September 22, 2007

A ProgDay Valentine

How do I love thee ProgDay? Let me count the ways.

There's a number of annual progressive rock music festivals in North America. I've been to a bunch of them: east coast, west coast, Mexico, Canada. They all follow the same basic format - mix of relatively unknown independent bands with some better known prog bands.

ProgDay is the only outdoors festival I've been to. You wouldn't think just the fact of an outside venue would make much of a difference. But it does, and it makes ProgDay my favorite of the fests. It's also the first festival I ever attended, and my first year was one of the best. In the past, I've been an underwriter for the festival, helped the band selection committee, driven bands around, and worked the front gate. In fact, (if you're reading this, you probably know this already) Roy and I got married at ProgDay five years ago. Reasons 1-3 help explain why.

1. The time between the bands relates the colour to the scenes. It's so laid back. Some of our same friends attend a number of different fests, but ProgDay gives us the most time to socialize. The festival ends at sunset (7 or 8pm) each day, and we can have a relaxed dinner and hanging-out time. Other fests have a dinner break between bands where it always seems like you're in a rush to get back. I never get the feeling I didn't get enough time with people at ProgDay. You can grab a bite to eat at the fest and still be "inside the venue" and not miss any music. You never have to leave the seated area; after the band ends, stay in your seat for another half hour and chat.

2. It has a small, but very loyal audience. I feel like we know everyone there. I've seen kids grow up, families grow. It's a very friendly, welcoming environment.

3. The venue, Storybook Farm, is such a part of the fest. It is a beautiful setting. I believe it used to be a camp, where the bunks and other buildings were converted to apartments. While the area in front of the stage is out in the sun, you can sit along the edge of the trees or under the pavilion and still hear the music just fine.

4. It sounds bad to some when I say this, especially given how many concerts I go to, but the best thing about ProgDay is that you don't have to pay 100% attention to the performances. IT CAN BE BORING LISTENING TO LIVE MUSIC. Some people can get off on watching any live music performance. Me, I've thought about this and I need something more, even if I like the music.

The best way to draw me in is:
- play something I know
- play something accessible enough that I can dance or bop my head to
- be mindblowingly good.

If a band is playing something unfamiliar/inaccessible, there has to be something in the performance itself. They need to be:
- charming
- enthusiastic, have their fun rub off on me
- energetic
- theatrical, or
- experienced and professional.

Most any professional touring band fits these requirements. But too many bands at these festivals just don't have enough on-stage experience. I might like their music, but they don't hold my attention live. At other festivals, you are watching a band in a dark theater. Your options are to sit in the dark theater and be bored or leave and miss all the music. At ProgDay, it's outdoors, it's daylight, you can move away from the stage, read, shop, eat, without bothering anyone else but still be able to hear the music. It always feels weird to me to walk out on a band, but in a theater, there's not much else to do if they're not doing much for me. It's a relief to take a break and multi-task, but not miss any of the music.

5. The sound is so much better at Storybook Farm. You'd think it would be worse outdoors, but I never have any complaints on the mix. All the instruments are clear. This is so different than some other venues, where vocals can be low in the mix or inaudible, the mix is mushy, and the keyboards get this weird feedback sound. Some venues just have bad acoustics, other times, bands insist on using their own soundman who pushes the sound too loud for the venue.

6. I mentioned that the vibe is friendly and laid back and that you don't have to leave the venue while the bands change sets. I can't stress enough how wonderful it is not to "hurry up and wait". There are times we've rushed back from dinner only to spend hours sitting in front of the venue while a band sets up and soundchecks. We can't leave, or we risk missing part of the show. At ProgDay, with its outdoor venue, you never have to leave or miss anything.

7. We enjoy visiting the Chapel Hill area every year. We always go to downtown Franklin Street, with record shops, music venues, great pizza at Peppers, Ben & Jerry's. We had our wedding reception at Spanky's, at the corner of Franklin and Columbia. It's right by UNC-Chapel Hill, so the people-watching is great too.

There are some downsides to ProgDay, and I think these scare too many people away.

1. The weather - it can rain or be too hot. My first ProgDay, I wasn't prepared for it. I fell to heat exhaustion. Since then, I've been much more careful about keeping hydrated, moving to the shade, bringing a fan, wearing a hat, etc. It's all about being prepared. I prefer rain to the heat.

2. Porto-potties. Ewwww.

3. ProgDay just can't afford the really well-known bands that some of the other fests can bring in. Some years, it seems like there's no real headliner. But most of us come every year regardless of the bands. And the unknown bands lead to the biggest surprises.

So that's ProgDay and why I love it.

No comments: